Monday, July 2, 2012

Quick Article #4: Some Ideas Just Don't Work Out

It would be an indiscretion of the highest degree if I – or, for that matter, anybody, without exception – were to put forth, and then play along with, the impression that every single one of my ideas was perfect; this would require an ego of immeasurable proportions, which is something I do not possess. Everybody, quite simply, makes mistakes. However, although they may not be perfect, all ideas must still, to my mind, be documented, for another person may come along who can, upon examining such an idea, continue with it in some direction in order to either ameliorate its good qualities, or conclude that the venture is, once and for all, pointless. I will post, therefore, here and now, one of the decks which I myself have struggled with for quite some time now, but have been wholly unable to accomplish to any degree acceptable to my high personal standards (and have neither the desire nor the time to further investigate):

Monster: 15

2 Summoner Monk
2 Rose, Warrior of Revenge
2 Destiny Hero – Malicious
1 Destiny Hero – Disk Commander
1 Destiny Hero – Diamond Dude
1 Elemental Hero Stratos
1 Dark Armed Dragon
1 Dark Magician of Chaos
1 Plaguespreader Zombie
1 Dark Grepher
1 Morphing Jar
1 Cyber Jar

Spell: 22

3 Golden Bamboo Sword
3 Broken Bamboo Sword
2 Destiny Draw
1 Allure of Darkness
1 Card Destruction
1 Pot of Greed
1 Graceful Charity
1 Painful Choice
1 Reinforcement of the Army
1 Monster Reborn
1 Premature Burial
1 Dimension Fusion
1 Last Will
1 Harpie’s Feather Duster
1 Snatch Steal
1 Change of Heart
1 Raigeki

Trap: 3

1 Imperial Order
1 Crush Card Virus
1 Ring of Destruction

With draw power so very important to the Traditional Format, I was intensely interested in utilizing the Bamboo Sword cards, an engine typically only employed in First-Turn-Knockout strategies, to increase the speed of a battle-oriented deck. I had been thinking upon this subject for the better part of two weeks, contemplating the best option for doing so, eventually arriving at the decision that Monk Synchro would fall into such a category; the option of discarding a dead Bamboo Sword (whether Broken or Golden) for the effect of Summoner Monk was a synergy that appealed to my sensibilities, and, with my experience and personal style also leaning in this direction, I ultimately went with it – to relatively good effect, I should add, although the result, after testing various builds, was still not consistent enough for my liking. While capable of some extremely impressive plays, as the case almost always is when playing Destiny Hero-based Synchro strategies, the above deck suffers from completely useless hands far more often than is acceptable: hands split between unmatched Bamboo Swords, Synchro generators and power cards prove unplayable in virtually any situation presented, including a first turn start. Perhaps a different ratio of Bamboo Swords would be superior, but, as noted above, I have decided to move on. I post it here as an example of an idea that, while no doubt good (and worthy of exploration, I think), is far from being a completed work of greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment